If Variety be the Spice of Life, Dr. Vishal Shah, VP, Leadership Development, Wipro Technologies, is certainly leading a red-hot career! Consistently switching hats between academician to practitioner across multiple domains with consummate ease, Vishal holds these #Top3Practices as critical to the depth and breadth of his own leadership and his work with other leaders.
Dr. Vishal Shah, PCC, Vice President – Leadership Development at Wipro Technologies
Combining a judicious mix of academic and industry backgrounds, Dr. Vishal brings an understanding of diverse functions, industries and domains to the table. Handling a Global Role as Vice President – Leadership Development at Wipro, he focuses on developing senior leaders.
As a Group Head at discovery, his role involved anchoring and facilitating Leadership Development Journeys for Clients’ Senior Management Teams.
His Leadership Programs have consistently been appreciated for the ‘movement’ and ‘change’ that they brought in the group. Some of his major clients include Britannia, Deutsche Bank, Biocon, Polaris, Aon, ISB Hyderabad, etc.
One of the reasons for Vishal’s unique and versatile strengths is that he has worked in different industries like Education, Manufacturing, IT, Consulting, BPO and Retail and has played many roles. He has played key roles in HR, in setting up and managing the Learning Function, Business Development & Account Management functions at senior levels. A passion for people and people development is the common thread that runs through his career.
He is a Recipient of the Infosys Fellowship Award for Research for the FPM program at IIMB.
Vishal has been a Speaker at conferences and institutes like NHRD, People Matters, AIMA , ATD, IIMs, etc. Some of his recent engagements include:
- ISRO as part of their Distinguished Lecture series
- NHRDN- KPMG “Learning on Point 2018”, Feb 2018
- Speaker at the AIMA’s National HRM Summit, Dec 2017
- Speaker at the IIMB Digital Summit, Oct 2017
- Panel member in the ACM SIGMIS Computers & People Research international conference, 2017
- Session on “How Leaders Drive Change” at IIMB, Feb 2017
- Speaker at the “Future of Learning & Working” FLOW conference at Los Angeles, March 2016. Also Facilitated a Masterclass for senior HR leaders – invitation by Jeanne Meister & Dan Schawbel
Vishal has published papers in international journals as well as presented papers in international conferences. Some of his works include:
- “Education and employability for the Era of Automation” Jan 2018, NHRD Journal
- Jointly written a chapter called “Future of Work and Work Skills in Knowledge Intensive Services” in a book published by Springer Publishers in 2016, along with American & Korean
- “Effective Coaching: A Powerful Developmental Tool” published in NHRD Journal, July 2016
- Guest Editor for the July 2015 issue of NHRD Journal
- “Learning & Development Providing the Strategic Edge” published in April 2015 Issue of NHRD journal
International Research Publications & Conferences
- External examiner for a PhD Thesis on Leadership at IIMB, Feb 2016
- Capability Development in Knowledge Intensive IT Enabled Services”, published in European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, Volume 12, Issue 4, Dec.2003.
- “Developing People Capabilities in Knowledge Intensive Remote Services”, published in Journal of Research & Practice in Human Resource Management, Volume 11, Issue 1, 2003.
- “Knowledge Based e-Services: Examining the Role of Organizational Elements in Remote Technical Support Services” presented at ICIS 2002 at Barcelona, Spain.
- “HR Issues in IT Enabled Services: A Case Study of Knowledge Intensive Customer Support” presented at the International Conference on Globalization, Innovation and HRD for Competitive Advantage, December 2002, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Paper presented in the International Conference on Management of Globally Distributed Work, Bangalore, India, December 28-30, 2005
- Research Assistant for a research project on outsourcing case studies funded by European Commission
Dr. Vishal Shah is a Fellow Program in Management – equivalent to PhD from IIM Bangalore. He has also done is Masters in Business Administration from IIM, Bangalore. He is an undergraduate in Physics from K.C. College, Mumbai University.
Some Interesting Links
Crowdsourcing 101: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/crowdsourcing-101-dr-vishal-shah/
Coaching Models: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/coaching-models-dr-vishal-shah/
Reflections on my coaching experiences: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/reflections-my-coaching-experiences-dr-vishal-shah/
India’s most Ethical companies: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/indias-most-ethical-companies-dr-vishal-shah-pcc/
My Talk at ISRO on “Leadership and Learning in the age of Disruption”: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-talk-isro-leadership-learning-age-disruption-dr-vishal-shah-pcc-1d/
Developing High Potential Employees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LUJ5HG2J08#action=share