Suprio Guha Thakurta
Helping you with Strategy, Brand & Marketing
Ex Chief Strategy Officer, The Economist Group
Suprio’s KEY THEMES
– Ten year stint at The Economist: Strategy, digital subscription marketing, Managing India & Asia P&L.
– The first Asian in the GMC (Group Management Committee) at London.
– 10 years in Marketing, Sales and Advertising across Agencies and Consumer Goods companies: Sales and dealer management, brand advertising and direct marketing.
– Four years in entrepreneurship.
As the Chief Strategy Officer at The Economist, Suprio’s role was specially crafted to respond to the ongoing disruption of the publishing industry’s business model. Technology platforms were luring readers to their walled gardens and there was a clear and present danger that publishing firms would be left as just content creators. Suprio worked with Dr. Eric Schmidt in designed a strategy that resulted in the reach of the brand growing by 65% in an extremely challenging environment. He also worked on the paid subscription growth strategy for the next 10 years that resulted in securing the biggest ever investment in any area by the group.
As the Managing Director, Circulation, Asia Pacific & Managing Director, India at The Economist, Suprio achieved two years of double digit paid subscription growth in a region that had been flat for decades. He made this happen through a geography led (as opposed to the existing pan-Asia) strategy and marketing plan.
Under his leadership as India MD, paid circulation of The Economist increased by 58% between FY0809 and FY1314 and India became the fourth largest paid subscriber country in world of The Economist after US, UK and Canada.
Prior to joining Economist, Suprio was President, Lintas Personal for 4 years, advancing from Branch Head to VP to President in under 2 years, and delivering a 33% growth in both revenues and profits.
Suprio’s other roles include
- Director Planning at Adfactors PR
- a Process Consulting entrepreneurial journey
- Client Services Director & Account Director at Bates Advertising and
- Regional sales role with the Godrej Group.
Suprio holds a PGD Business Management, Marketing from XLRI Jamshedpur and a BE, Mechanical Engineering from Jadavpur University.
Interesting Links to Articles and Sessions by Suprio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJSUAglvff4 The Recipe of The Best Content Marketing Program By Suprio Guha Thakurta
Connect with Suprio
Twitter Handle: @eastbengal